Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Improved doom Beta testing and initial bugfixing completed...

So I spent a long time yesterday and last night doing bug testing, bugfixing and other testing for Improved Doom, my upcoming Doom Rebalance/RPG/Random Spawning Mod for Zdoom ports... I spent hours on the mod. Making the initial mod was a 3-4 hour job done a few days ago. Since then I spent hours bugtesting, Bugfixing, and constant backing up the latest version. Last night I made what I think is a final version of the mod, version 3.2

Since Improved Doom was made in three phases and the first 2 phases were not release ready, this new version is technically the latest version for the third phase.  The first phase was similar to the new version but had lots of issues such as enemy damage being too high and limited enemies and weapons.  You also started out way to weak in phase 1 and could die very easily because you're starting HP was 50 or so and not 150 like it is now.  Phase 1 was ditched and a new phase, being completely based on some other mod was made but not released due to the other mod being some one elses...

I wrapped up phase 2 and backed it up but never came back to it because I found great mods like HXRTC and DoomRPG/RLA.  Improved Doom was put on the back burner and forgotten for almost 2 years...  (This was around Summer 2016)...  A few days ago I found a backup of phase 2 and edited it heavily... I imported a wad from phase 2 with custom stuff including new enemies, a scripting library with the new coding for the cyborg powers and levelup system, and such... I took that wad, edited it heavily to get rid of code and other stuff from the other mod and made a new version based on this and stuff downloaded from the beastiary. I downloaded 40 new enemies and 18 new guns.. I went for ones I liked a lot, rather than popular ones... It payed off...

The new version was made but as I made it my sloppy coding caused lots of bugs to appear, misspellings, etc. Some serious issues needed to be fixed... A sprite conflict between the sprites of two enemies from the beastiary was there because I downloaded both enemies.. I had to rename the sprites and patch the decorate of one enemy to compensate... I did that... That was 5 revisions in... I had other issues such as missing monsters in the random spawning list... I added new features such as cluster grenades and some new enemies as well.  Around 8 revisions in it was finished...

Backing up the versions turned out to be a chore. I had to back the mod on to a CD and External HDD every time I made a revision and twice I uploaded a massive online backup to the internet. When I had to patch something to make revision 8, I had to delete and re-upload this version... Basically improved doom made me work a lot to get it working right... It should be ready for release by next month... Extensive testing is needed....