Friday, November 17, 2017

Masochistic Death Doom2 Mapset Maps 1-12 completed with ZERO DEATHS! That's right people! ZERO DEATHS!

So I decided to do another playthrough today. I chose Masochistic Death, a Modified Randomly Generated mapset to play. It was designed to be a tribute to a wad that everyone in the damn community trashed that I made. It had a similar texture theme in episode 1 and 2, similar gameplay, but this time the randomly generated maps made it much better looking than the original wad It is a tribute to..

So I decided to play maps 1-12 in a playthrough on youtube. I got up and no one was home so I jumped all over the chance to do maps 1-12. Pretty good run I had. As usual I was playing it in the mods DoomRPG and DoomRLA, which are RPG mods for Doom 2. I built a pretty damn strong character in it, a demolitionist with a lot of Vitality, Strength and Defense.  I had leveled him up to level 29 or so by map12 which is quite good. Spent lots of skill points to get skills I needed. Got good armor and a good arsenal of powerful weapons, some assemblies, some not, to help me clear the levels.

Maps 1-4 were easy. I had absolutely no issues with them. By map 4 all I had for weapons were a super shotgun, Tactical rocket launcher, and a Starting Mirv Launcher I decided to save for later. By the time I got to map 5 however, the maps got way harder. I got a thompson, and it saved my rear end in map05, when I had to fight 15 revenants in one room, Twice. I got a BFG soon after and in one hilarious member, I ran into a narrow hallway filled with enemies to BFG a nightmare Archvile that was behid them, that had  to be killed Right then. I ran out and took very little damage, which was great. Then I got to map06-07 and they were harder than map01-04 but much easier than map05.  I survived them only to stumble into map08, 09 and 10. The first of these was no harder than map07.  09 and 10 were much tougher though..

Map09 had lots of hard enemies in it. I survived it because I used the MIRV Launcher I had saved up a lot. By  this point I also had a High Powered plasma gun I assembled and a good Auto Shotgun as well. That all helped a ton on map10, which was the toughest map I played on the run, overall.  I ran into tons of barons of nightmares in map10, because I was doing a mission to kill 6 of them to get a weapon in DoomRPG. But the real challenge when I had to fight a cyberdemon that got replaced by 2 bruiser brothers. These guys were like the bruiser demons on the beastiary but harder, faster and meaner. I managed to autoshotgun them to death because the MIRV launcher did nothing against them, they just ignored the damage from it!

Map11 and 12 were quite easy in comparison. That ended my run, which to my surprise at the end, had no deaths in it at all!  Overall there were a lot of places where I could have died, the Bruiser Brothers Fight, the Nightmare Archvile in Map05, the Revenant horde in the earlier portion of that level, and more.  But I didn't die once, which was insane... I finally equalled my feat I did in Complex Doom last winter where I beat 32 slaughtermap levels without dying once in Complex Doom + LCA.