Saturday, November 18, 2017

Masochistic Death Doom 2 megawad trilogy Remade....

Last December and earlier this year, I constructed the Masochistic Death Doom 2 Megawad trilogy : A set of 3 modified randomly generated Doom 2 megawads that were tributes to 3 megawads I made by hand that I no longer have on my computer due to A) People trashing the first one in youtube videos and twitch streams and B) Me deleting them in a fit of guilt.

Masochistic Death 1 was originally made last december. It was a tribute to my second made megawad (the one that got trashed). It came out ok. I used a tweaked oblige 7.37 to make it, then retextured it. The original wad was a tribute to my 3 favorite doom megawads, and so was this. Masochostic Death 1 came out ok... Some levels were good, some were not.

I made part 2 and 3, tributes to the sequels of that failed megawad (Torture and Insane doom), earlier this year. They were both INSANELY hard, so hard that I had to scrap them... I didn't want them to be THIS Hard... Level 1 of the second one for instance had you fight a partially invisible super fast archvile in the first room with nothing but an automatic shotgun. It was too hard.... And since the first part was too badly done I decided to remake the trilogy recently.

I put together masochistic death 2.0 5 days ago, using a tweaked version of oblige 7.70, that was tweaked to change textures to make them look better mostly.  It came out a lot better than expected. maps 1-12 were easy, like the original failed megawad, but once I did map13-20 I amped up the difficulty greatly, making them hell revealed difficulty. By the time Map21-30 came the difficulty became totally insane for the end of the wad, starting to put in tons of archviles.

I made sure I retextured the levels in Masochistic Death 2.0 with the same textures the failed megawad had... That was important. CageTextures for Episode 1, EternalDoom/Retres for Episode 2 and Epsode 3 had textures from a tweaked oblige I found on the Oblige Forums...

That difficulty would be dwarfed by masochistic death 2 and 3, which I remade last night... I used the same oblige 7.70 version I used to make Masochistic death 2.0.  This time I amped up the difficulty to rediculous extents. The first map of each was easy but anything beyond that.... hardly.. Maps 2-11 of masochistic Death 2 were hard as hell, with tons of arch viles in map 2 especially. masochistic Death 3 had 50+ archviles per level in maps 2-11! By the time map12-20 came, the difficulty would be increased even more, to have shit tons of hard enemies, and masochistic Death 3 had tons of cyberdemons too in these maps. Episode 3 was insane in both wads... I made sure Masochistic Death 3 would have the most insane finale possible, so I made sure all monsters in monster control were set to INSANE!

Masochistic Death 2 had different textures than the original torture.wad. Instead of IKbase, then Fear Textures then CageTextures, It had NMNCorp textures for episode 1, Modded Oblige textures (mentioned above) for Episode2, and CageTextures For Episode3. Masochistic Death 3 Had CageTextures in Episode 1, Just Like Insane Doom, But had different textures for episode 2 and 3, the original had tons of new textures for episode 2 and 3, this remake used Doom64 textures for episode 2 and modded oblige textures for episode 3.

Overall I think these came out great. Whether I release these levels or the hell revealed pack ones is up in the air now. I will let you know about that later, maybe around November 31'st or so...

Screenshots:

Masochistic Death 2.0







Masochistic Death 2







Masochistic Death 3







Over the next few Days I will be testing these wads in DoomRPG and DoomRLA, my favorite mods to test such wads in, due to how easy they make wads like this. I already have half of Masochistic death 2.0 tested, I will get up to map20 tonight.... Then I start Masochistic Death 2 and 3 testing after that...