Monday, March 5, 2018

Announcing my upcoming TC for Gzdoom, TUC!

TUC! It's an old idea by me. A crossover between the universes of Duke3d, Shadow Warrior, and Blood. I attempted to make a TC with this name for Duke3d but failed... So I decided to redo it in the gzdoom engine. My first attempt to remake the original TC had badly designed randomly generated maps and was frustrating beyond belief.  This new version is much better.. It uses Randoom 10.0 to make it's maps, complete with 10.0's use of sloped floors, dynamic lighting and ambient sounds..

Making this TC was not easy. It took me 10+ hours today. I spent several hours piecing it together. In order for me to get the enemy sprites and coding, I had to base this on another Mod which I won't name. Due to that you may not see a release of this yet.  I took that mod, edited it's files a LOT to remove 90% of the stuff in it minus the sound files and SNDINFO and Sprites.  Put It's decorate coding for the enemies in a seperate file and started to work on a scripting library that would do one liners for the mod. I imported one liners from Duke3d, Shadow Warrior and Blood before I did any of the above and made a script that played a random one liner once you kill a certain amount of enemies
I made that script check your player class and play the right one liners for that class. I was going under the assumption that you would be able to play as Duke Nukem, Lo Wang or Caleb.

Getting the playerclasses working right was a bitch. No matter what I tried, I could not make a playerclass selecting screen show up in Gzdoom 3.0.1+... So This mod Will require Gzdoom 2.1.1 or earleir to play.  I have it in a seperate folder due to that. I could not get the player classes to work. I kept on trying various things to fix this but it never worked in newer gzdooms, thanks to the Author of Gzdoom "Depreciating" keyconf playerclass definitions, a stupid, stupid move! You wish that source port authors would understand the meaning of backwards compatibility but he does not..


As for things from the games this mod is based on, you get to find weapons from all three games and some new ones as well... All three playerclasses can use all of the weapons, making it interesting, to say the least. It was frankly, very difficult to make it so each playerclass can only use his guns. So I went with this system where all guns are available to all classes minus starting weapons, which are unique. Thanks to the tons of Duke3d/Shadow Warrior/Blood Recreations on the Realm667 armory I was able to import the following guns into TUC...

Duke3d Shotgun
Duke3d RPG
Duke3d Pipebombs
Duke3d Devastator
Shadow Warrior Rocket Launcher
Shadow Warrior Uzi
Blood Flaregun (only caleb can use this)
Blood Sawed off
Blood Tommygun
Blood Napalm launcher
Blood Tesla Cannon

I also recreated the duke3d freezer and the Shadow Warrior Riot gun and railgun using other realm667 weapons. 

As for new guns, Duke starts with a powerful silenced pistol that has a secondary fire (most guns have secondary fires in this). The secondary fires are very powerful. Some make certain guns VERY OP...  The Duke64 SMG's secondary, for instance shoots armor piercing bullets which turn it into a gun that fires shotgun strength shots rapid fire. The RPG from Duke3d shoots several Rockets per Shot for it's secondary fire. The Nuclear Missile Launcher's secondary is SO OP that it can easily kill you! It shoots Nuclear missiles Rapid Fire! I'm not joking..... How's that for putting the Nukem in Duke3d?!

For enemies, almost every single enemy from all three games is in this. Some have slightly different sounds or attacks. For instance the protector drones do not shoot shrink rays anymore. Shrinking enemies is not possible in zdoom engine mods. So you won't see a shrinker in this at all.  New varients of enemies are included, including Hyperblaster and laser rifle shooting enforcers, Blue Protector Drones, Red Coolie Ghosts and more.


The levels were generated with randoom... I did three episodes, which have 2 sections, minus the second episode. Episode 1, for instance, takes place in LA and uses duke3d textures. Part 2 of that is in a military base, while part 1 is in the city. Episode 2 is in military bases in Tokyo, and uses shadow warrior textures. Episode 3 is based off of blood textures and has a city and hi-tech half.

 The enemy count in this mod is insane. I fought several hundred enemies in many levels, and had to use my wits because limited health pickups.  It was a blast. I don't know yet whether this will come out or not but keep checking this blog if you are interested in this. I will update you on this mod later on.


Screenshots: